My name is Nico Mara-McKay, and I’m a Toronto-based freelance writer, editor, and poet.
I specialize in arts and culture topics, particularly books and literary culture, music, video games, art, and indie culture.
I like hats, monsters, and the Oxford comma. Sometimes I write about these things.
My work has appeared in print in Broken Pencil, Poetry is Dead, and Quill & Quire; online in Shameless, She Does the City, and xoJane; and my poetry has been published in more than a dozen journals.
I’ve written for the Web since 1996 and currently serve as the editor-in-chief for Spiral Nature. I volunteer as a Web Admin for Canadian Women in the Literary Arts, and ran a links column on their blog. Previously I was a columnist for The National Monitor, She Does the City, Technologr, Tarot World Magazine, editor of Plutonica.net, and a category editor for Dmoz.org.
- “Writing Without Limits,” Broken Pencil [PDF]
- “Seriously Funny: The Surrealism of Rachel SV Parry,” Scapi Magazine
- “Google+ reverses stance on its real names policy,” Technologr
- Complicity, Quill & Quire
- Blue is the Warmest Color, The Winnipeg Review
- The Hard Return, Broken Pencil
- “Wrecked,” carte blanche
- “Innocence,” Contemporary Verse 2
- “Vicious Beauty,” The Found Poetry Review
I’m currently shopping around my first poetry manuscript If you’re interested, I’d love to hear from you.
I’m a member of the following media and writing organizations:
- Canadian Media Guild, Member since 2014
- Canadian Women in the Literary Arts, Member since 2012
- Professional Writers Association of Canada, Professional Member since 2013
- Toronto Freelance Editors and Writers, Member since 2013
Writer for Hire
I’d love to write for you! Please get in touch.