Inspired by this post on Book Riot, I thought I’d share my own reading rules:
- Read voraciously. Don’t just read in the genres you’re comfortable with – branch out, read some really weird stuff.
- Be selective. There are too many books out there to waste time reading something less than worthy. Read reviews, criticism, and literary theory. It helps.
- Read it all. If you start it, finish it. In your lifetime you are allowed to not finish ten books – max. Use your allotment wisely.
- Read lots. It’s ok to read several books at once. Some books are slow burners. I have books I’ve been reading for more than two years.
- Don’t bend pages.
- Don’t crack spines.
- Don’t write or highlight in books. It’s vulgar.
- Always, always keep a notebook handy.
- Don’t lend books. Instead buy extra copies or give books as gifts. That way when you don’t see them again it won’t hurt as much – you’ll still have your copy.
Have I forgotten anything?