The winners of this year’s Governor General’s Literary Awards have been announced, and congratulations are due to Linda Spalding for English Fiction (The Purchase) and Julie Bruck for English Poetry (Monkey Ranch).
There are numerous other categories of winners for works in both English and French, and hearty congrats to them as well! See the full list of winners and the short lists here.
Happy 25th birthday to The Beguiling! Here’s how they did it.
- The Canada Reads 2013 long list has been pared down to the top 5 books in each region.
- Shawn Micallef on the changing suburbs, and why cities need them.
- Why college students should study porn.
- In other news, the UN rightly calls access to contraception a universal human right.
- The intersection between books and video games.
- On the gendering of “geek” and what’s really at stake.
- Objectifying women misses the point entirely, media.
- Want to be like Sherlock Holmes? Here’s how.
- Writers are twice as likely to commit suicide as the general public.
- In other news, did you know our planet has a pink lake?
Yeah, I’d be kind of cheesed too. Wither the Nicosaurus imperatrix, I ask you?(1)